Wednesday 2 October 2019

Light Art Festivals in Europe (and close)

I have the busiest weeks of my whole year going on, so of course I spend my time composing a map just for the fun of it. And because I absolutely need to perceive – right now – when and where there are light art festivals in Europe, so I can plan my travels accordingly. Well, there are surprisingly many of them, and I'm sure I have missed one or two or three thousand. If you know about a recurring happening, with a reasonable amount of light art in it, do let me know!

Surprisingly many festivals inform really, really insufficiently about when and even where the festival happens. Too often I had to check the dates from news sites and other sources. If you're running a light art festival, go check your website to make sure this information is easily available. Now, please.

In the map, the number on icon is for the month the festival starts, or has started in some time in history. To make spotting easier, they are also coloured according to spectre, from January's red to December's purple. The black ones are bonus destinations, exhibiting light art all year round. The information given is very sparse, since even I have some limits in procrastination.

The one festival I'd like to promote here is the FLASH Biennale in Suomenlinna, Helsinki, organised by the Finnish Light Art Society FLASH. The second edition FLASH2 – Eyes Wide Suomenlinna will be on from November 1st to 10th. The biennale is (thank gods) not as flashy as light festivals tend to be, but emphasises more the concept. One of those this year is political light art, which is not too explored an area in light art festivals. The exhibition is held in the old fortress island of Suomenlinna in front of Helsinki, in venues not usually open to public. And yes, I'm involved.
See more here: https://www.facebook.com/events/2474352442653260/

Open map in a new window




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...